You can use your own text here

Guitars setups - How often?

Cross Thread

How often do guitars need to be set up? I had my Taylor 214ce done by a tech about 12 months ago. It's been brilliant but now I'm hearing a bit of buzz, looking around online I'm seeing different opinions about the cause of string buzz, maybe just a truss rod adjustment?

I always thought a guitar would need to be set up once, but I realize that's wrong. I'm a player and never been very technically minded. I think i will take it back to the same guy that did it last time.

Guitar George

I have my main axe ( a Taylor 324ce) setup around once a year. I like low action and I haven't had any problems with string buzz, but if I did I would have it done more often.

I know some guitarists do their own setups but I like to leave it to someone who knows what they are doing. My advice is to have your guitar done by a reputable luthier who can set up your guitar in accordance with your playing style. A guitar which is set up properly is a pleasure to play, there is nothing worse than a guitar which suffers string buzz or is hard to play because of high action.

Murmur

I have my guitars set up whenever I feel they need it. If the action of a guitar is high or low compared to where it normally is, it generally means something has changed, if that occurs, by all means, have the guitar checked out by a competent luthier. Acoustic guitars are made mostly from wood, wood reacts to changes in humidity.

Flakes

Action can change for kinds of environments reasons if any of the strings become hard to press at any fretboard position, chords are hard to fret, stings buzz in any position, fretted notes do not sound correct tonally or anything at all affecting playability, then have your guitar checked by a professional.

Murmur

A guitar-only needs a setup if the player is not happy with the playability of the guitar, specifically the height of the strings (its action) hard to fret, or atonality problem at any given position, string buzz. There is no need to get the guitar setup regularly unless you are unhappy with how the guitar plays.

Sofa King

I won't get a setup done unless I see some evidence that the guitar needs it, buzzing strings or action is no longer to my liking. Sometimes all that's required is nipping the truss rod adjustment.